Stepping My Game Up

So, yesterday I turned 25 and blogged about My List of Adventures to Accomplish by my 30th birthday.  I've come to realize that I really want to make YUMMommy something special.  I want to make a name for myself.  I feel like I have the potential to be a self-made mogul.  I've always been a self-starter and a leader.

However, I'm realizing that if I'm ever going to rub elbows with the big shots then I need to seriously step my game up so that I will be prepared.  I mean I've met some basketball players, singers, stylists, etc when I worked in retail.  And I've come to realize is that all those were opportunities in which I missed out on being able to network.  Do you know I don't even have a business card?  Pitiful I know.  I mean business cards are the basics and I've slacked off on doing that.

I look at some of my friends who've gone on to chase after their dreams and I can't help but feel like I went wrong somewhere.  I mean my friend Kion is working for one of the largest PR firms in the country.  He's worked as a brand rep for Addias and had the chance to promote products with celebs like Reggie Bush.  He's successful managed to grab the attention of people like Fantasia and Tachina Arnold. Oh, did I mean he's only 24?

How did he get where he is?  He started with the basics.  He networked, exchanged numbers, read books and voiced his opinion.  I can't begin to tell you all how many great books I have here about how to get to my mogul status.  I've just procrastinated and not read any of them.  I'll start and then put it down never to return.  But what do I do? I go out and order or buy another book that pretty much tells me the same thing as the book I already have waiting on my coffee table.

Well, I'm awake and ready to take charge of my life. I want leave my legacy on this world and give my Moo and future child someone to look up to and want to be like.  I'm no longer content with just making it.  I watched my Mom just make it with us and I hated it!!!  We were always telling her that she should publish her writings, get into motivational speaking, start a business and guess what she's done none of those.  Sure, she does speaking engagements but that's only because her job as director requires her to in order to raise money for their non-profit programs.

Her writings are still collecting dust in her many notebooks she has scattered throughout the house, she still hasn't started that business she wanted either.  While I desperately want to be like my mom in so many ways, those are not some of them.  I want to be able to full my destiny and achieve the adventures on my list.  So, I've decided to brush the dust off of my self-help books and get to reading.  Also, with the help of my new found blogger bff Mommy Delicious, I ordered a lovely set of business cards from Shutterfly.

I'm even stepping the game up with my wardrobe.  I might be pregnant and a mom already, but that doesn't mean I can't look fab.  I'm hunting down new maternity clothes and even adding a little eye shadow.  I recently won some lipstick from FSL Comestics over at Silver Lips Beauty.  I am super excited to rock it to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday. I need to be prepared to run into great people.  I don't their first impression of me to be that I'm tacky or cheap.

I've even gone through the trouble of joining some great groups on Meetup.com.  It's these little changes that are going to give me the boost of confidence I need to get back in the game.  Heck just writing this post I already feel bolder and ready to take on a challenge.  Stay tuned because there is more to be continued!

5 More Days Until Christmas

6 comments

  1. You go YUMMommy!!!! I'm super excited about where your blog is going to go. Werk it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alicia-Thank you. Likewise, I am looking forward to seeing Mommy Delicious continue to grow and take off as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you girl - work it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love and admire your enthusiasm. You can do it..claim it, its yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sassy Wife-I'm claiming it everyday and speaking it into existence!!

    ReplyDelete