Adventures in Wedding Planning

Ok, so I have just officially planned my first wedding and I have to say that it went very well.  At first when my younger sister told me that she was getting married in less than a week, I was a little fearful.  One because she wanted to just go down to the courthouse and do some completely unoriginal ceremony conducted by a stranger.  And two, I wasn't even sure if she had a dress.  Even if you're just doing the courthouse thing, it is still important to have a dress specifically for that occasion.

Anyways, I  was kind of stoked when she asked me before she left to help her plan a small ceremony here at the family estate.  In the past, we have had our disagreements and weren't always as close as we should have been.  However, as we have matured and gone through our different trials and struggles, we have bonded in a new light and are discovering a very welcomed friendship of sorts.  So, I was very happy and more than willing to help plan the ceremony.

Wedding planning has been one of my many dreams and I was filled with ideas that I wanted to try.  After the initial excitement wore off, I started thinking about all the things that had to be done in such short time. Flowers, food, decoration and let's not forget about the CAKE!!  What wedding is complete without a wedding cake?  And I didn't want her to have some half assed cake either.

I started by first planning out the menu which consisted of Apple & Sage Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes with Beef Gravy, French Cut Green Beans, Rolls, and an array of drinks and desserts.   Then I started shopping for wedding favors.  I thought it was important for the few guests who be at this ceremony to have something remember it by.  Then it hit me that the biggest part by far would be decorating the yard.

All the other stuff seemed so minor in comparison of trying to figure out how to fill such a huge space.   Not to mention there are like a million trees and the ground was covered in leaves.  Well, let me tell you all....it took three people and almost ten hours to tackle that task.  I mean I blisters for days.  I don't want to see another rake any time in the near future for sure.

But when the final day got here everything went off great.  My sister was happy and so was my brother in-law.  They had a great time.  And the smiles on their faces made my day.  So, now the question remains as to if I ever pursue this adventure again?  Maybe.....we'll see what happens.

No comments