5 Ways to Beat the Heat

I don't know about you all but we've been having 95 degrees to triple digit weather here in the Carolinas.  That means the kiddies and I have not been venturing outside much.  In fact in the best week and a half we've only been to the grocery store, story time and church.  However, I'm determined to avoid Cabin Fever at all costs.  Here are five ways we're beating the heat.

This week's weather predictions


1) Sleeping In:  With the heat being pretty much unbearable, I haven't been scheduling anywhere for us to go.  So, with nowhere to go, we have been doing a lot of sleeping in.  Trust me that extra rest makes for the day better for everyone!  Operations in the YUMMommy household tend to run a lot smoother when I've had at least 6 to 8 hours of good sleep.

2) Cooking:  I love to cook.  We do very little eating out due to Moo's food allergies.  Anyways, Moo's taken an interest in being in the kitchen.  And for the past week and a half, she's become my kitchen helper.  It's amazing how much fun cooking with her has been.  We're getting quality time and making valuable memories together in the process.

3) Arts & Crafts:  Besides being a pretty good up and coming chef, Moo is quite the artist as well. It's been fun spending time coloring with her and making little creations to send Grandma and the rest of the family.  JJ has tried to join in but I don't think he's quite grasped the concept that crayons aren't for eating yet.

4) Dance Parties:  Some how it seems like my kids have more energy than the normal three and one year olds.  Since, we can't hit up the park and run that energy out, we dance it out in the living room.  Nothing like cutting a mean rug with your kids to a little Fresh Beat Band.

5)  Good Reads:  We're avid book readers.  I'm very happy that both my kids love books.  We signed up for the Summer Reading program at our local library.  That's proven to be such a blessing as we have been busy reading on a daily basis.

Reading themes for this year.


How are you and your family beating the heat?

16 comments

  1. We find things to do in the cool. The kids love the outdoors so we have to wake up early just to play outside. We love Fresh Beat Band too, you can't help but to dance and sing along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a morning person. So, if we do go outside it's usually during the evenings as it's cooling down again. And I totally love the newer songs on the Fresh Beat Band. The beats are good and the words are so inspirational.

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! Fresh beat band is a favorite here, but we only see it at my parents. No cable at home. We also joined the summer reading program...lots of fun.
    Hope you all keep cool. Also thanks for the prayers and well wishes for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Hope things are getting better for you all!

      Delete
  3. Ok, I typed up a thoughtful comment and it vanished. I'm glad you all are keeping cool. We joined the summer reading program. Thank you for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I think you hit the publish button by mistake and it takes a while for me to approve the comments before they appear on the blog.

      Delete
  4. It's been ridiculous but definitely drinking lots and lots if water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Water with every meal and snack pretty much!

      Delete
  5. The heat has been crazy here as well. My son loves being outdoors so I make it priority to get him out early in the morning before the heat starts blazing. I totally agree with you about dancing it out with the kiddies. B loves to dance too and its fun to watch him at the same time. These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch the kids dance. I find myself just staring at them in awe because they've both grown and changed so much. It just melts my heart.

      Delete
  6. We have been doing a lot of crafts. I thank Pinterest for that. The ideas gathered on that site, while not all good, are fun to try out! I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterst can be a lifesaver! I'm really started to get hooked on it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the list of cool things to do around the house! Since it’s so hot out, the great indoors have definitely become my family’s main habitat. I must admit that I have become a little too reliant on my AC and TV to combat the heat. The record button on the remote to my Hopper DVR is a nub and it’s only July! Luckily, we have tons of recording space to last us for the rest of the summer and then some. With your ideas, it will be nice to break away from the couch for a bit and have some fun! Another tip you can try with your family is playing outside with the sprinkler or hose. If you bring bubbles out with you, it makes for a sudsy, fun time! A coworker of mine at Dish tried it with her family too and they said it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want one of those Hoppers. I wonder if they're compatible with Time Warner? And thanks for the sprinkler idea. I will be hitting up the dollar store to get a hose and some bubbles!

      Delete
  8. Yassss... It's been a OVEN/HEATER in ATLANTA!!!!!! It's been BLAZING HOT we are experiencing the true meaning of: HOT-LANTA!

    ~Thanks for sharing because we need ways to stay COOL! H20, H20!!!! *DRINK PLENTY*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dance parties -- DITTO! It's so much fun, isn't it? And reading is always a plus. I bought a book on Sunday and finished it by Tuesday so I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete