Soul Food Sundays



It's no secret that I love to cook.  And while I'm pretty sure that I got that love from watching my father cook during my earlier childhood years, Sunday was the day that my mom would throw down.  She didn't cook a lot but when she did, it was off the chain yall!  We would come home from church and she would have us call around to her sisters to see what everybody cooked and we would decide who's house to meet at.  Thus, a tradition of Sunday dinners was started.

I have some really great memories from those dinners that I will always cherish.  I can remember laughing with my cousins, climbing trees in my aunt's front yard and eating till it hurt.  Most importantly, I remember hanging out with my mom in the kitchen and appreciating the ease of conversation between us.  It was in those moments that we were able to be our most vulnerable.   And it's for these very reasons that I agreed to link up with Dyani from The Soul Mom for Soul Food Sundays.

I want to make similar memories with my children and have an activity that allows us to bond more.  Also, with my siblings and I all living in different states or town it's hard to get together for Sunday dinners as one unit.  Somebody's working, already made plans or has a project for school due.  So, I'm building this tradition with my own family in hopes that they will keep it live with their future families.

Anyways, we love it if you'd join along with us for Soul Food Sundays too.  Below is a calendar of what soul food dish we'll be linking up each week.  This is not only a great way and excuse to get back in the kitchen but a great way to share recipes and start new friendships.  After all food tends to bring people together if nothing else.

RECIPE CALENDAR

Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipes - August 5, 2012
Potato Salad - August 12, 2012
Greens (collard, mustard, turnip, etc.) Recipes- August 19, 2012
Red Velvet Cake Recipes - August 26, 2012
Pound Cake (includes 7-up cakes) Recipes - September 2
Baked or Fried Chicken Recipes - September 9
Pecan Pie Recipes - September 16
Baked or Fried Fish Recipes - September 23
Black Eyed Peas Recipes - September 30
Banana Pudding Recipes - October 7
Sweet Potatoes/Yams Recipes - October 14
Sweet Potato Pie Recipes - October 21
Peach Cobbler Recipes - October 28
Dressing - November 4
Red Beans and Rice Recipes - November 11
German Chocolate Cake Recipes - November 18

Does your family host Sunday dinners?  What are your favorite dishes?

6 comments

  1. that calender has some great food items lined up! I guess we do have sunday dinners- they are just no different than the other nights :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get back to the Sunday dinners or brunches. They always made me happy and it provided for good food, fun, and bonding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soul Food Sundays is going to be so much fun. Thankls YUMMommy for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to follow you guys and learn about all the recipes, etc! It's going to be such fun, especially because I LOVE Soul Food, but can't cook it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The calendar line up makes me hungry. YUM!! I love Sunday dinner, but must confess I don't always make big dinners like mama nem used to make. BUT when I do I love watching my family eat and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had peach cobbler today from a soul food type of restaurant. This is so neat. My Grandma made big Sunday dinners but since she's passed that tradition only occurs on holiday's.

    ReplyDelete