Empanadas Galore

So, here I was earlier today debating out loud what I was going to make for dinner.  Before I had kids making meal plans was easy because it was just me and the Mr.  However, these days it's a little bit tricky.  Moo has been going through a picky eater stage.  JJ will only eat certain meats cooked a certain way.  Plus, you have to factor in food allergies.

It can be a bit of a headache trying to make a menu based around what you think everybody is going to want to eat.  Anyways, it's going on 4 o'clock and I haven't taken anything out of the freezer to defrost.  Then the Mr comes into the kitchen and tells me about this new empanada recipe he saw on tv.  I was a little skeptical at first because he's cooking shows and I wasn't completely certain if had REALLY seen the recipe on a cooking show or not.   And if anybody who knows me knows that I all about Mexican cuisine. 

Well, tonight I gave the recipe a try and it was a success.  Such a success in fact, that I've decided to get on YUMMommy at 11 o'clock in the night to share it with you.  I would have typed this post up early but JJ is still sick and has been cranky, then Moo needed her one on one time and I had to put both kids to sleep.  But better late than never.  We made tons of empanadas tonight. Pictured below is what we're going to call the M Family Mucho Grande Empanada!



Ingredients
2 cans of Pillsbury Grand Biscuits
Ground beef/turkey/chicken, cooked
Chunky salsa
Mexican blend shredded cheese
Flour
1 egg beaten
Nonstick spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl mix together cooked ground beef, one can of salsa and two large handfuls of shredded cheese.

Next, dust a flat surface with flour and flatten out two biscuits using your hand (or rolling pin if you must).  Make sure they are about 5-6 inches in diameter.

Then, add filling to center of one biscuit.  Make sure to leave the edges clear of filling.

Take beaten egg and coat edges of the biscuit.  Once finished, lay the second biscuit on top and seal edges together using fingers or a fork.

Coat baking dish or cookie sheet with nonstick spray, add empanadas and bake until biscuits are golden brown (about 15 minutes).

Let cool for 2 minutes, serve and enjoy!

4 comments

  1. Looks yummy! I may have to try this tomorrow since its quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thos elook great! I love empanadas. I buy the goya shells though lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good! Funny how you sometimes come up with something great at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definetlely try this and post a reply with our girls finished product. Your recipe truly appears easy and straight forward. Honestly, I'm tired of the pigs in a blanket #6 has mastered. They are good but they are her favorite go to snack.

    ReplyDelete